Thursday, February 01, 2007

HappyUP!!! Day 5 Jan 2007

You should be hitting the groove now - you have 4 days down. More than half way there. You also came back again so you probably have day 5's assignment ready. You can start to see the finish line now.

If you thought this has been good so far - just wait. The benefits that you will receive a month from now...knowing that you can go back at any time far outweigh the lift that you are getting now.

Hopefully - you are starting to pick through about 10 possibilities everyday. If not, make that a goal for tomorrow. If you only have three and you are using those just for the assignment, you are being lazy.

Remember - you only get out what you put in. If you have 30 choices, WHOA.......I need to know who you are!!!

HappyUP!!! 1 - pulling back into town after the 4.5 hour drive from Bakersfield

Why did it happen - I had to go to a meeting.....and I had to get back home. Work was the driver here

Why does it make me happy - I haven't driven that long one way in a long time. Between some phone calls and some audio CD's, it really wasn't bad. This leg of the trip home was after sitting in a 7 hr meeting too!!! I can't begin to tell you the absolute euphoria that I was feeling as I got off the freeway for the turnoff to my home. Part of that euphoria was that I knew that moment was going to get captured in this HappyUP!!! I don't know if I would have savored the moment as much. The HappyUP!!! excercise became a self fulfilling prophecy..... hmmmm......that's the point of the excercise. To change how you look at things....for the better. Remember, either way, it was a 4.5 hr drive. I walked away with a feeling of accomplishment.

HappyUP!!! 2 - the meeting I went to and finding out about my new teammates

Why did it happen - our work did a reorganization

Why did it make me happy - new people bring new ideas into our lives. I have been with our company through mergers and acquisitions for almost 20 yrs. I know a lot. As I was listening to some of the "newbies", I found out they were doing some tremendous things........that hadn't crossed my radar! ....and probably wouldn't had I been stuck with my old crowd. Once again, without the HappyUP!!! excercise, I don't think that I would have APPRECIATED this new found braintrust for what it potentially can be.

HappyUP!!! 3 - the dreamboard excercise

Why did it happen - my new boss took a risk.

Why did it make me happy - first, the dreamboard is an old motivational tool. It is one that I don't necessarily agree with when used for material purposes....but that's just me. Basically, you sit down with a bunch of fancy magazines and you cut out pictures of things that you would like to have. Personally, I keep it simple so the excercise was going to be tough. BUT....I found myself gravitating to SKILLS that I would like to acquire. The picture of the guitar wasn't because I wanted to have THAT guitar...I wanted to play better. There were several things like that. Along the way, I realized in being around my friends that perhaps I had swayed the anti-materialism pendulum a bit too far. Perhaps that second home wouldn't be that much of a strain on the budget that it would upset my strong desire for financial security. We'll see....I am still rather fond of the idea that I don't need a second home....I just need more friends with second homes!!! LOL There were so many other great things about the excercise that I will probably save this for a post to come.

No comments: