Wednesday, January 31, 2007

HappyUP!!! Day 4 Jan 2007


OK, I am deviating a little bit and doing my HappyUP!!! at the beginning of the day today - it is always best to sift through your various jottings and pick out the best of the best.

This makes the program maximally effective - rather than go "here are three HappyUP!!!s...I'm done," you get to reflect on all of the things that happened that made you happy.

But....I'll be in Bakersfield tonight - and my ability to post may be limited. If I can, I will give you an update.

First - something to keep in mind as you HappyUP!!! Some people equate fun with happiness. Fun is a component of happiness. Fun is an event. Fun is not usually available 24/7. Of course, we know of people that try to have fun 24/7 and, most would agree, there are a few problems to that strategy (how is Lindsay Lohen doing with that rehab program anyway?)

In looking for things that make you happy - and analyzing why they make you happy, your focus now is in a place that leads to what happiness is.....a continual process as opposed to an event. Let's keep this in mind as I go through a few HappyUPs that have already occurred since I have been up for the last two hours.

HappyUP!!! 1 - I downloaded my new anti-virus and security update

Why did it happen - my annual subscription was up and I was notified.

Why did it make me happy - the download went very smoothly. No problems. It happened just the way that I think it should. Now, those of you who use computers (that would be ALL of you if you are reading this....well, except for those people who have friends that read my posts, recognize the infinite wisdom, print the posts, go to a copy machine, and distribute them as hard copy all over the world) know that these types of things don't always go easily. Computers can have glitches. I also know that I don't have to worry about paying my annual union dues to McAfee for another year (future post on McAfee and their practices in a later post).

HappyUP!!! 2 - waking up with two black cats on the bed

Why did it happen - it was cold outside. These are outside cats. I don't usually let them in.

Why did it make me happy - we have been having a cold snap here in Sacramento. Cats can usually sleep outside through most of the year. I have been intermittingly letting the cats in based on how cold it is. The interesting thing is that the very first night that I let them in, they marched right upstairs, jumped on the bed, laid down next to me AND on me.......and were there when I woke up in the morning. It was an instinct. Yes, I could be naive. Perhaps they got together and went, "hey, he's asleep now....let's go downstairs and party." But, I checked the liquour cabinet....it seems like they spent the night on the same mattress that I did. I am not overly affectionate with these outdoor cats.....yet there was something innate in them that they wanted to lay down and sleep right next to and on me. It's like they really need me, appreciate me, trust me, whatever. I just thought that it was nice. If not for HappyUP!!!, I probably wouldn't have thought about this. The excercise has forced me to put this nice thought in my brain. This will start to become addictive...I will look for more nice things than normal. Remember, whatever it is you are looking for, you will usually find. It makes sense that looking for and finding something nice will increase your overall happiness.

HappyUP!!! 3 - my new Bluetooth Headset

Why did it happen - I bought it because Renee at the Cingular store was so helpful with my phone that I just had her set me up with the technology so I wouldn't have to read any instructions.

Why it makes me happy - I have a four to five hour drive to Bakersfield today. That's a haul....especially for someone like me that doesn't care for long drives. I am compiling a huge business phone call list. I even scheduled a half hour conference call to take while in the car....if it drops, it drops but everyone knows that could happen. The Bluetooth is going to keep me from craning my neck.....and comfortably pass the time....on that flat, scenic-less, boring drive.

HappyUP!!! Bonus - I bought The World Is Flat on audio. I have been meaning to read it but it seems like a perfect book on tape. Once done with my phone calls or on the 4-5 hrs back tomorrow, I will have that book "read".....and, if that one runs out, I bought a couple of others.........just in case I get tired of yakking on the phone.

HappyUP!!!!

1 comment:

Waspgoddess said...

Waking up with two black cats sound lovely. Not much of a techie, but I've been told things like bluetooth can make good happyUPs :)

Here are mine:

1. long walk to a hospital appointment along the sea, with the sun reflecting off the waves.

2. spending time with an old friend who I haven't seen for far too long.

3. cosying up on the sofa, watching a film (well, I haven't done that yet, but I'm about to).