Sunday, February 11, 2007

HappyUP!!! Day 15..Surge...Recover...Surge


Time for leveling with you - aside from the HappyUP!!!s, the past two weeks have seen some rough times for the Nutster. I have long believed that life goes in cycles....at times the tide is in, and other's it's out. One day the wind is at your back, the next day you are having to tack against it.

It's why I have always said - "when the wind is at your back, go like hell and make as much ground as you can," which is a little cruder spin on the old "make hay while the sun shines" yarn.

While not a tornado - I would say consistent gusts of around 50 mph have been happening.

Even my Arena Softball team - has dropped two games in a row.....and that isn't even on the wind against list. Wouldn't life be great if that was the only thing that had misfired over the last fortnight?

Yet...as I have HappyUP!!!'d for sometime now- in addition to the latest consistent daily jottings here, I am noticing something. I seem to be approaching the "bad" stuff in a much more clinical fashion. I am not throwing a bunch of emotion on top of the "bad" stuff.

Subconciously, it appears that I have begun to change my program - and I am lopping the emotion on top of the "good" things. Now, keep in mind, I was never a "high drama" person to begin with. I would give a little more bandwidth to issues than they probably deserved......and, trust me, over the last two weeks from work to personal, I have had the opportunity.

"It's a shame this is this way, let me deal with it as fast as I can, and move on to the next thing that I want to do" - this has really applied at work. I have dealt with a couple of serious employee issues....a couple of extreme customer service issues...two key account issues...bending the mind of a direct report who has a mind of steel....completing all of the job reviews (which I thought were farther along than they were)...etc.....with little to no lamenting.

Am I just getting older...wiser...better...naturally? - or has the HappyUP!!! that I have worked on over the last year starting to kick in? I am betting on the HappyUP!!! concept

My old friend, Dr Mitchell Perry - used to teach the concept of Surge-Recover-Surge. It is a piece of his Perry Principles. The point was that we are all going to have our downtimes....this is the Recovery piece. His point was that people that are high performing shorten the recovery time. They spend less time in it. Now, the issue that I have/had with the concept was....."OK, Doc, it makes sense but it isn't much more helpful than someone saying, 'you need to fix your attitude.' "

If you recognize that your attitude - isn't optimal (I didn't say suicidal or depressed or even at level...perhaps you are doing well but want to move to well-done), what can you do? Now, to be fair to the good doctor, he probably had a prescription that I didn't get or listen to. Yes, I know, it shocks you to know that sometimes I don't listen because my mind is racing ahead...it happens.

So, what do you do to cut down the Recover time - HappyUP!!! I am going through some personal challenges that I could spend a lot of time mired in. In one instance, I looked at the situation....realized that there was nothing I could do to fix it....accepted it...am living with it.....but dwelling on Happier things.

In the past - I may have been dwelling on the fix....trying to accept....or on the loss. While the situation is/was painful, I am looking toward the horizon ahead and the possibilities...

.......this is not a natural thing for me - and I still catch myself in a moment of lament, jot down what it is to get it out of the cranium so it doesn't stay there.....and fogettaboutit!

SURGE..........RECOVER...........SURGE - my old friend, Dr Mitch was right. HappyUP!!! to help yourself surge once again!!!

No comments: