I know - you HATE brussel sprouts. I hear you because I used to say the same thing even though....
I'm NOT SURE I EVER EVEN HAD THEM BEFORE - I was out a local eatery not long ago. I ordered the swordfish which was served on brussel sprouts in a bacon reduction sauce.
Were they delicious? - well, let's just say the kitchen staff was queried and the bulk of the ingredients were obtained to give this a shot at home.
I hereby declare - brussel sprouts have gotten a bum wrap! Yeah.....if you were forced to eat them at some point, I'm guessing it was a boiled situation.
We aren't - gonna do that to you here!
So...here is a rundown of what you need - and never ask me for how much of anything to put in...that's all personal taste. You know what you like...it's more fun playing around with it.
Chicken or vegetable stock
1) Start frying up your bacon
2) Start your chopped garlic and onions sweating in some oil in another pan
3) When bacon is done...remove from pan...but keep that bacon grease
4) Add butter, balsamic, lemon, onions, garlic, chicken/vegetable stock, salt and pepper
5) You had already cut your Brussels in halves...throw them in as well.
6) Break your bacon up into little pieces and toss those in
7) Sautee over a low to medium heat
8) Let sauce reduce....and pull the sprouts out at desired tenderness (I like a bit of crunch left). Anywhere from 3-6 minutes depending on your heat and firmness you want
9) Pour your remnants over the top of the sprouts
Yeah......-you could have thrown some cheese over the top while sauteeing. I didn't....THIS time.
You are flat out doing some eating now - and brussel sprouts are very good for you
Yeah...I know - the butter and bacon grease probably aren't going to make it to the top of the American Dieticians Society as being good for you.....but...if that is what it takes to eat them sprouts.......