Friday, July 25, 2008

HappyUP!!! Day 544




HappyUP!!!
- seeing a friend from the distant past
Why it happened - he saw me washing my car out in front of my house so he stopped
Why it makes me happy - what is it about touching people from our history that changes our emotional states. This person wasn't a best friend. He was a classmate in high school. We worked together a little bit in construction. He was a little crazy...a little bit of a ruffian. He was always a nice guy to me, though. It was nice just to catch up and visit for a bit. (It is OK for a guy to "visit" with another guy, right? Those Man Police always have me looking over my shoulder.) Anyway, we had a good conversation.

HappyUP!!! - waxing the car
Why it happened - I just did it
Why it makes me happy - OK...I am not a car freak. I really do not like anything about car maintenance. It does not even bother me MUCH to drive a dirty car. I haven't actually waxed a car in forever. It was just a beautiful morning. I had bought some wax a while back and decided to shine "ol Betsy" up a bit. I didn't even get that excited about admiring my work like some guys do. Perhaps it was that I knew I was protecting my investment. Later on, I did go to get in the car. When I put my hand on the door handle, my hand almost slipped off. I said, "hey, that's right. I waxed my car." The feel was a HappyUP!!!

HappyUP!!! - saying something nice
Why it happened - one of my waitresses at my regular place is leaving
Why it makes me happy - she told me that she was moving out of town. When she came back to check on me later, she said, "how are you doing?" like waitresses do. I said, "Not well. I am trying to deal with you being gone." While I was being a bit dramatic, the point got across that she would be missed.......and it made her feel special. It's a HappyUP!!! to make people feel special and something that I have to admit could use a bit of bumping up in my skillset department.

No comments: