Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"That's A Very Good Question"

Time and again in interviews - I hear the person being interviewed begin the answer to a question by saying, "that's a very good question."

.....and it really irritates me.

It tells me that the person being interviewed - has been through media training. They have been TAUGHT how to respond as opposed to responding in a more natural manner.

I worked for a major corporation - and, as part of facilitator training, I was trained in this pearl.

While I performed the function of facilitator - (and quite well, if I do say so myself), I was not a trainer by title. As I sat in meetings that the professional trainers were conducting, they would repeat the innocuous phrase above so often that it made me gag.

The idea is that, by saying it - you honor the person asking the question and reduce the possibility that they would feel stupid for asking the question. Here is why this phrase makes my skin crawl:

1) When I ask a question - I am not looking for a compliment. I am looking for information. I know it was a good question because I didn't have the answer before I asked it. This is what comprises a good question.

2) What happens to the person - that asks a question and doesn't get the praise? If the other guy got the, "that's a good question" and I didn't, does that make my question a bad one? It's possible.

WARNING! - if you ever have me in your class and say, "that's a good question," you will most likely get an immediate, "I know....that is why I asked it," from me....or someone like me sitting in your class

"That's a very good question" - is another step to try to tritely make people feel better. I think this can be accomplished in other ways....

.....hmmmm....what is the title of this blog and what is the main exercise that WE keep repeating on a daily basis?

No comments: