Wednesday, June 18, 2008

HappyUP!!! Day 507

HappyUP!!! - seeing my CPA
Why it happened - I needed to do some tax planning
Why it made me happy - I have been seeing the same CPA for probably 25 years. When I first went to see him, I was a penniless carpenter....stressed out on how I was going to pay $1000 in taxes. Today, we were making sure my taxes were going to be in order now that I am retired. He was more happy for me than I am for myself. AHA! As I thought about it, he always is that way. Even though he has to give some tough news sometimes, he is the kind of guy that you always feel better about talking to after you see him. An admirable trait indeed.

HappyUP!!! - something my CPA said
Why it happened - I asked him about his fishing trip
Why it made me happy - he had just got back from a week on his flat bottom boat that he keeps up in Redding. That's about a 3 hr drive. I asked him if he goes fishing alone. He said, "sometimes. Last week I had my best fishing buddy with me, my wife." I will tell you this from a guy who has talked to a lot of guys: there aren't many guys that would have said that.

HappyUP!!! - chatting with a friend/ex-employee
Why it happened - he called me
Why it made me happy - it's always good to hear from your friends. I have known this guy for almost 20 years. We bent more than a few elbows over bar tables over the years. Ever since I retired, I haven't had the opportunity to talk with him. It was good to catch up.

Bonus HappyUP!!! - watching the Tim Russert tribute
Why it happened - he passed on
Why it made me happy - it was an extremely well done service...a model for a service. Drama...laughs....musicThis included his brother in law doing an acoustic instrumental of Springsteen's "Born to Run" and then followed by a video feed of Springsteen himself doing "Promised Land" (which you probably know as "Thunder Road")

No comments: