Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"Congolia Breckenridge....now that's a colorful name".....George Carlin remembered



How the heck did I miss this? - I stay pretty plugged in. I have to admit that a lot of it is to CNBC and the Golf Channel...not exactly Carlin venues or things that he had any taste for at all. I didn't realize that George Carlin had died Sunday until a few minutes ago.

Back in October - I decided at the last minute to go and see George Carlin live. Here is the HappyUP!!! link Today, I am so glad that I did. I can't tell you how many times he came to town and I said, "I need to see him," and then didn't go. I didn't even buy advance tickets. I was going to let this time pass me by like all of the others. Yet, on that Saturday night, I had nothing to do and I said, "I'm going."

I got there as the lights were flickering - I bought my ticket.....in the second row. Funny, I had tried to get tickets a few days earlier and the seats were all in the back. This added to my previous decision to let things pass. What an honor it was to be sitting so close to the feet of this comedic genius.

Boy, am I glad that I went - as I am allowing his passing to set in. Someone e-mailed me just yesterday about me being funny and asked who my favorite comedian is. I said, "George Carlin." In retrospect, I should have said, "was," but I hadn't gotten the news.

You see - I grew up with George Carlin. I was probably 10 years old when my older brothers brought "the hippy dippy weatherman" on vinyl into our house. I still have the record and am likely to set up the turntable and give it a listen very soon. George Carlin Puts on and Takes Off was the name of it. The fact that I can remember that tells you how indelibly he was linked to my youth. I'll even rattle off a song he did on that record....it was a love song that I committed to memory and can still remember it 38 yrs later:

"I sent my sinuses to Arizona
I sent my liver to Peru
I sent my lungs and my kidneys, for the summer, to Sydney
But I'm sending my heart to youuuuuuuuuuuu..."

And the weather report for tonight? - "Dark!"

The album cover was full of snapshots of him - in a coat and tie with short hair and clean shave. He hadn't "hit stride" and gone anti-establishment yet......he was funny when he was clean...

....but he was even funnier when he was dirty.

As I watched him that night - he was reading his material. It wasn't because he couldn't remember it. He was writing it on the road and trying it out to see if it would be suitable for his upcoming HBO special.......and the audience gladly paid for the privilege of watching this craftsman PRACTICE.

I usually carry a journal with me - but I forgot that night. I did have a pen and a scrap of paper. He inspired me to write a funny schtick about conference calls. While he wasn't making reference to them, he was riffing on the silly "male bovine manure" (George would have said something else but, out of respect, he owns that word) that goes on in corporate America.

I always thought it would be funny - to do that schtick at some gig my company was hosting.......but I don't think they would think it was too funny. You have to know your audience. Carlin always did......and he used them to his benefit.


It is a shame that I see all of the references - in the articles about his death to the "Seven Dirty Words...." It seems so trite and cliche' to remember him for that. Carlin was the anti-cliche and anti-trite king.

He was a comedian - that made you think. Yes, he used some bad language when he didn't need to....but he also used bad language precisely where it was needed. You laughed because you were thinking it. Here is a great link in his remembrance. You can find many more by doing a google. I know I will be doing many more so I can hear his gems.

Carlin was not afraid - to say what YOU thought.

I caught the following from a comment on another blog:

"I still remember a piece he did about a girl showing up at his apartment, three months after they briefly met at a concert. He says "oh I remember you...you were a good sport."

Girl: "Well, I'm pregnant with your baby and I'm going to kill myself!"

George: "Wow, you are a good sport."

I am wondering who I will miss the most - Tim Russert or George Carlin. I know. Russert represented all that was "proper" and "good" and hard-working in the world. His values are legendary. Carlin used profane language, drugs, and reminded you more of a homeless person.....that you loved. There is something about that which makes this a toss-up. Tim Russert will not be receiving the Mark Twain Award....and I am a Mark Twain fan. Perhaps this is why I think that, though radically different, Carlin was as great an American.

Keep Remembering to Question Authority - Carlin won't be around to remind you of that any more.

NOTE: here is a link to the last interview with Carlin. If you are a fan, take the time to read this excellent piece.

3 comments:

Al325 said...

The name of the character was TONDALAYO BRECKENRIDGE, not CONGOLIA BRECKENRIDGE.

theatreguy said...

Actually they were sisters, according to Carlin

Anonymous said...

Congolia was a contestant on the Truth Or Penalty game show. And she was salty!