Friday, September 07, 2007

On Writing

(A special post for my friends over at SundayScribblings )

What is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of writing? Pain. OK, that's not it. The first thing that comes to mind is that I really could be a writer. The second thing that comes to mind is pain.

My blog and my journal are mostly thoughts that I put down on paper or on-line. When I think of writing, I think of the craft of writing. You must create a flow that engages the reader and do it in a flat medium. The closest that I come to writing is when I am crafting a speech. Even there, I am working in vocal inflection, gestures, and facial changes that embellish the communication. The thought of working those things into written form of any length makes me think of the old "1% inspiration, 99% perspiration," and, to be honest, it is not something that I have ever been able to sit down and do.

Yet, in the back of my mind, I feel like it really is something that I should do. If the should becomes a must, the sweating will begin.

No comments: