Thursday, September 20, 2007

HappyUP!!! Day 236.....a new lunch spot

HappyUP!!! - a call from a colleague in the industry
Why it happened - I left him a message yesterday
Why it made me happy - I recruited this guy long ago. I knew he had left the company that had bought the bank who's department he was running. Back when I was recruiting him to work for me and couldn't get him, I actually recruited him to apply for the job to be my boss when it was open. He is good. I found out that in these challenging times in the industry, he started up his own firm. There aren't many guys that could do that right now. He can. He'll do well. It made me happy.

HappyUP!!! - a conference call
Why it happened - I scheduled it
Why it made me happy - I gave all of my managers a piece of this area wide call to cover. It was the first time I had done that. I was happy with their performance...they came through in the clutch and did a nice job for the first time out. Yes, I still came in as the most prepared with the overlay that pulled it together but part of my job is to bring the others along.

HappyUP!!! - a likely invitation to emcee
Why it happened - I volunteered
Why it made me happy - I will probably be the Toastmaster at the Area Toastmasters contest. For a group that is supposed to be good at this kind of thing, this role is traditionally done very poorly.....and I think I know why. The Toastmaster gives no thought to the preparation. They also don't look like the duck on top of the water when things go wrong. I would go to the event anyway...at least I won't have to watch someone struggle!

No comments: