Friday, September 26, 2008

HappyUP!!! Day 607-A Great Day to be Me


Today was such a great day - I couldn't contain myself to just three HappyUP!!!s. Hey...some days are just like that!....and I will take every single one of them.

HappyUP!!! - my best round in years and one of the best in my life

(<----short birdie putt on the most difficult hole at Morgan Creek... number two. I hit a great iron there...wish I had made the putt but, with the greens sanded, you just have to be happy with striking the ball well)


Why it happened - I kept saying a breakthrough was coming. I've been playing a lot and working on my game.

Why it makes me happy - My best round ever was a 68... 28 years ago on a much easier golf course.
One of the joys of golf is striking the ball properly.This morning, I did and shot a 74 on a course with a 73.9 course rating. While my second 18 was not as good score wise due to dodgy putting on the recently aerated greens, the ball striking may have been better. Today's golf showed me what I am capable of. Golf is satan's game. You never HAVE it and who knows what tomorrow will bring. Just Wednesday, I had a terrible ball striking round...but I learned from it. All of this leads to a real HappyUP!!! today.

(Below: another short birdie putt. This one on number 18 which always plays tough for me. Nope, I didn't make it but I sure stuffed it in there)
HappyUP!!! - Breakfast with a friend
Why it happened - we scheduled it
Why it makes me happy - my friend is embarking on a new venture. I am absolutely thrilled for him to have the courage to go out on his own. I think that he is going to do great and be tremendously more happy. I love his optimism. Plus, he has something to prove and I know that he will.

HappyUP!!! - playing golf with a guy I hadn't seen in 30 years.
Why it happened - he is Boz's brother and he is out here on business
Why it makes me happy - this guy was always a great kid for the tagalong little brother. He later went on and narrowly missed winning the Heismann trophy. If it wouldn't have been for a shoulder injury, he would have won it back in the early 80's. He was a quarterback and some of those guys can be pretty arrogant. Not this guy.....still the same ol great "kid" he was 30 years ago. He's got a hell of a golf game and was a joy to have him out there with us today.

Bonus HappyUP!!! - Boz played a great round
Why it happend - who knows
Why it makes me happy - he whupped me.....which does not make me happy. I was glad to see him play so much better. He EXPLODED out of a slump. He hit some exceptional shots today. Last weekend, he was down in the dumps....today, he was "riding the pony" (see NutBoz League post). That's golf!

Bonus HappyUP!!! - more about my golf today
Why it happened - see above
Why it makes me happy - I hit more quality golf shots today than I have probably hit over the last two years cumulatively. It would have been very conceivable for me to have shot two rounds at par today.

AnotherBonus HappyUP!!! - perfect weather and no waiting on the golf course
Why it happened - who knows about the weather....the lack of people could have been due to the greens being recently aerated and sanded
Why it makes me happy - I played 36 holes of golf in about 6.5 hours. It is great to keep moving.

AnotherBonusHappyUP!!! - hearing from an old co-worker
Why it happened - I e-mailed him
Why it makes me happy - maybe I will get a free lunch and free use of his condo! OK....he's a good guy that was put in a tough spot. He's doing the best that he can and it's always good to hear from him.

No comments: