Tuesday, July 24, 2007

HappyUP!!! Day 179

HappyUP!!! - lookin good
Why it happened - a new T-shirt
Why it makes me happy - I can get away with a wide array of clothing choices whilst working in a fairly conservative industry and holding a position with a degree of prominence. The key is that I have to look nice. This lets me escape the dreaded tie every day. My new yellow t-shirt received yesterday went nicely with black slacks and a black/white with a hint of gold houndstooth jacket. Though I got no comments, I still think it worked magically.

HappyUP!!! - chat with an employee
Why it happened - one of my employees came into the office around 5:30.
Why it made me happy - I detected there was a need to talk about life in general a bit. No particular problems. Just a younger person looking for an outlook from someone that has been around a little longer. I see this as being more of my role as I get older. Mass marketing and mass culture has an agenda for a reason....and that reason may not work for the individual. The most powerful influence in a person's life is the person that they can have honest chats with.

HappyUP!!! - compliment on my work group's performance
Why it happened - someone was honestly looking for the key
Why it made me happy - "hey, Nutster, while I have you on the phone. Your group continually excels on this one initiative. Most of our groups struggle. What's the secret sauce?" This person is responsible for how my peers do. She honestly was looking for advice. While I can't say I had a magic pill, I did give her a little guidance.

No comments: