Tuesday, October 21, 2008

HappyUP!!! Day 632...Peppers & Paintchips



I had a bittersweet moment today - which can be a HappyUP!!! if you look at it correctly.

I started pulling up a few plants from the garden - I don't talk to other vegetable gardeners but I have to think that it's generally a sad moment when you have to pull up the plants that have provided such wonderful sustenance over the past months. Which leads to...

HappyUP!!! - appreciation of sustenance
Why it happened - I did some light gardening
Why it makes me happy - I took a moment to realize how lucky I am to have a patch of ground with good soil and to be able to grow such wonderful food. I didn't pull up
the peppers. God bless them, they are still going strong. I picked some sweets, bells, and hot fresno's. I chopped them up, added a little broccoli (from the store) and melted some cheese over them in the wok in celebration of a wonderful summer of sustenance.

HappyUP!!! - Toastmasters
Why it happened - it was an "on" week
Why it makes me happy - I heard two great speeches. Our new member gave his first evaluation and did a solid job out in critiquing a speaker who is pretty darn good. I am already seeing his growth....which is richly satisfying.



HappyUP!!! - putting the bio and obligatory headshot together
Why it happened - I volunteered to scare myself to death
Why it makes me happy - as I put together the items for the person running the comedy night I got roped into, it reminded me that it is a good thing to stick yourself out there on occasion. I can see that it is very easy to get a touch complacent about things once one is retired. It may be why everyone keeps saying, "you'll be back to work." While I am not so sure of that, I am sure that I am going to be finding new things to stretch myself.
(..and, no, this probably won't be the headshot but I cracked myself "gooning off" with my camera)



HappyUP!!! - lunch at the Blue Nami
Why it happened - I took one of my ex-admins to lunch
Why it makes me happy - I hadn't had sushi at this place before.....and it was pretty darn good. More importantly, it was nice to visit with one of "my girls" (yes, I know that is so "not-PC".....but it is a title that they gave themselves and still wish they had). I hadn't seen this one in months and it was nice to catch up on what has changed in her life....and it all sounds for the better.

HappyUP!!! - drinks with a long time acquaintenance
Why it happened - we made it happen
Why it makes me happy - I have probably known this person for 20 years but never had the chance to sit down and chat a bit....and I learned a lot. It builds the relationship (duh!) and works towards solidifying another long term friendship for the books

No comments: