Tuesday, August 21, 2012

HappyUP!!! in Action 1

Coffee Time


I came across a wonderful example today - that points out the importance of HappyUP!!!'s in our daily lives. It revolves around expectations.

Let's say that you are heading to your workplace - and are looking forward to grabbing that cup of coffee as you head off to your desk.

Expectation - "I am going to make a pot of coffee so that my co-workers benefit as well as I do"

You arrive at the breakroom - and find that, lo and behold, there is no coffee left in the existing pot. You NOW have the ability to happily live out your expectation.

If your expectation had been - "I'm grabbing a cup of coffee and heading off to my desk," what would your attitude be if you found that empty pot?

"Dammit.....why couldn't the person who took the last cup start a new pot?"

"Why am I the only one around here that seems to know how to make a darn pot of coffee?"

Under the latter expectation - you have set yourself up only for failure.  Even if there HAD been coffee in the pot, you wouldn't have appreciated that it was there.  You would just be agitated that nobody MADE YOU any coffee if the carafe was empty.

Under the former expectation - I don't think you're heart would be broken that your vision of altruism of making coffee for everyone could not be fulfilled today. You would be VERY likely to say, "cool, the coffee is already brewed.....I'll do my humanitarian service tomorrow."

That pot is going to be - in whatever state it is going to be in when you get there. The question is, "what state will you be in upon arriving upon the coffee station?"

HappyUP!!!


No comments: