Saturday, July 18, 2009

HappyUP!!! Day 903

HappyUP!!! - coming back from bad start
Why it happened - I had a feeling it would
Why it makes me happy - I was on the driving range with my driver. Every one was a draw or a little hook.....and a few straight. As soon as I got on the course, the ball started going right off the tee. After three holes, this caused me to be 3 over par....on tournament day. I managed to right the ship and, except for two poor club choices, would have played it 2 under from there. As it was, I finished 3 over. Well done...and a HappyUP!!!

HappyUP!!! - pitch shot
Why it happened - I am getting better at this one shot
Why it makes me happy - I hit a poor iron into 8. I had some fairway to carry and some room on the green for my pitch. I decided to hit a running shot that has some delayed check on it. I hit it exactly like I wanted....it checked up....took a peek at the hole as it almost went in....easy par. I didn't have this shot a few months ago.

HappyUP!!! - Tom Watson
Why it happened - British Open
Why it makes me happy - I have always been one to root for the underdog. Back in the day, Watson was not one of my favorite players. As I recall, I didn't care for him much despite his exceptional talent. Yet, today, who couldn't love the story developing "across the pond" where a 59 year old sits on the eve of winning a major championship against the best of this era? Big HappyUP!!! tomorrow if he pulls it off.....I'll be watching.

HappyUP!!! - birdies on par 3's
Why it happened - I hit some good shots...and followed with the putts
Why it makes me happy - I hit all four par 3's in regulation....played them 2 under. It would have been 3 under if I hadn't hit one putt a touch firm and taken out the break. I hit solid irons into every one of them even though the distances were not my favorites.

HappyUP!!! - out of the mud
Why it happened - I almost hit the ball into the pond...and I have some skills
Why it makes me happy - when you have taken off your shirt...and your shoes and socks...in order to save a shot, you better do it. I picked it clean (well, I guess I picked it "muddy"). The ball went past the pin and up the backstop as planned......but didn't roll back down. If it had, it would have been a par. As it was, I made a bogey which would have been very difficult had I taken a penalty stroke. It was a nice little trick shot.

JollyJottings

Coming back after a bad start -Club Tournament Day
Up and down on 5 -French Market Lemonade on a hot day
Bunker shot on 6 -Tom Watson
Up and down on 8 -
5 iron on 9
Birdie putt on 12
3 wood/hybid on 14
Drive on 15
7 iron and birdie putt on 16
Wedge on 17
Mud shot on 18

No comments: