Sunday, July 12, 2009

HappyUP!!! Day 897

Finished up with the Sac County Golf Championship - my first scratch tournament in 25 years. Nope, I didn't play as well as I thought I would.

You have to take what you can - from the experience. I played with some nice guys. I hit some great shots. I could have fallen totally apart.

Hey, they haven't posted the results - but, when I left, I had beaten at least 20 guys.

Today was a golf-a-thon - so this is what dominates today's HappyUP!!!s

HappyUP!!! - pounding it off the first tee
Why it happened - I was playing in a tournament
Why it makes me happy - while all the kids were playing it safe, I took out the big stick and hit the strong power fade on the dogleg right. Yes, the first tee jitters were there....and beaten down like a bad dog.

HappyUP!!! - flop shots
Why it happened - I work on this
Why it makes me happy - sometimes you miss the greens on the side of the green that the pin is on. You don't have much room to land the pitch shot. That's called "short siding" and I did it to myself four times today. The only thing you can do is hit the risky flop shot....and I nailed it every time. Now, IF I MADE THE PUTT every time, it would be a bigger HappyUP!!! but, at the moment each of the shots was struck, HappyUP!!!

HappyUP!!! - my playing partners
Why it happened - you get paired with people you don't know in tournaments
Why it makes me happy - one of the guys was a youngster in high school. His dad was "on his bag". I didn't know this but they just joined my golf club two weeks ago. New friends. Dad is also a PGA Teaching Pro. After the round at my request, I asked him for some help. He gave me some solid direction.

JollyJottings

Flop shots
Birdie
Coming back
Meeting and playing with fellow club members
Help with the golf swing
9 more holes at my club...2 smoked 3 woods....a great wedge shot....a nailed 4 iron, 8 iron, 6 iron, and another 8 iron
Winning a couple of bets
Nap
Breaking even on my tournament bet
Finding out about another tournament
Hanging with BobOH after the tournament

No comments: