Monday, January 19, 2009

HappyUP!!! Day 722 - Martin Luther King Day




A day dedicated to service
- how is that for a HappyUP!!! from the president-to-be? Time and again, he has said, "I can't do it alone." Do you smell a little "ask not what you can do for your country but what your country can do for you," coming?

It's got a nice ring to it - it worked for the original guy that coined the phrase. So, do you think that the Obama is going to ask for one day a month of volunteerism from every American?

So, what do you think? - can you get on board with a volunteer day a month...at minimum? The Obama is right....he can't do it on his own. YOU have to do the lifting.


HappyUP!!! - a good morning of phone calls
Why it happened - I had a list and a mission
Why it makes me happy - I dealt with two insurance companies and an appliance store all in about 15 minutes...no hassles...all outcomes desired...minimum hold music or frustrating voice mail phone trees.

HappyUP!!! - progress on garage cleanup
Why it happened - it was part of the mission
Why it makes me happy - I didn't get to the end of this project...but I made a nice dent and got the garbage into the trash can before the garbage truck came. This leaves more room for more stuff tomorrow and, possibly, no trips to the dump.

HappyUP!!! - hanging a shield
Why it happened - I had an idea
Why it makes me happy - OK...it was just sticking some nails over the back porch and hanging a drop cloth. It is a prototype. The main thing is that the system will work to give me a nice backstop to hit pitch shots into....aggressive pitch shots. This is going to help my short game out big time. Now, I just need to go get the more permanent items needed.

HappyUP!!! - beatin em with the Boz
Why it happened - Boz had the day off
Why it makes me happy - we made a trip to Wide World of Golf and demo'd some new clubs on the simulator. While the irons that I want don't come out for a couple of months, it was neat trying out some new stuff.

HappyUP!!! - not going to work on MLK Day
Why it happened - I retired
Why it makes me happy - I used to work for a mortgage company that was a department of a bank. The bank was closed on this national holiday. We weren't....but most of my employees would take the day off anyway. While I put the smile on my face, I never felt that this was right. If people wanted to work, we could have closed but people could come into the office...just like the weekends. No confliction for me today.

JollyJottings

Not going to work on this holiday
Smooth call to Blue Shield
Smooth call to old benefits provider
Appliance repair scheduled at a good time
Progress on the garage clean up
X22 irons in the cross hairs
Talking with P.S.
Beatin em with the Boz
My new setup is going to work

No comments: