Thursday, June 14, 2007

Back to the Track.......


Feb 25 of this year was the last time I was on the track
. If you click the link, you are going to go through my history with running. In my mid-20's, I started to pick em up and put em down as a distance runner.

Today - it is that time in the past that is a distance. It has been over three months since I ran anywhere other than to the refridgerator. I am probably weighing about 5 pounds more than then....35 pounds more than 30 years ago when I was running 6 minute miles for 26 miles at a time.

I am coughing and gagging - as I type this. I just went one mile. Running...not jogging. No windy conditions. Just a bit of heat starting to generate off of the valley floor. We'll probably make it above 100 degrees later today.

The first quarter mile - was right at 1 minute 30 seconds. That is exactly on pace for a six minute mile. I actually felt OK as I saw the watch. It only took one straightaway for me to start feeling the let down however. The next two laps from that point were going to be tough.

But....I gutted it out - in the last half of a lap. I put on the old "finishing kick" that used to be my trademark. I can always reach down and find a little something extra.

7:09 was the final time - 10 seconds slower than 3+ months ago. Not important. It was important that I was out there. The journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step. Very shortly, I will make a decision around this topic....

.....stay tuned - because I am convinced that DECISIONS do Shape DESTINY. I don't make them lightly.

No comments: