Sunday, June 24, 2007

HappyUP!!! The Marigold Project


Part of my job - as the resident HappyUP!!!per (ooh, an new noun....HappyUP!!!er), is to make a big deal of the ordinary.

Why? - because people make a big deal out of the CrappyDOWNS all the time. We need to balance things out in life. We need to NOTICE and CELEBRATE the things that go right. It is imperative to optimal mental health.

For a couple of years - this little patch leading up to my doorway has been a bit of dirt that accumulates weeds. I then pull them and/or turn the dirt. It's nice dirt. It doesn't stay that way for long and the cycle continues.

Why didn't I do something about it sooner - it wasn't a high priority. I also procrastinated until I could think of something that was "just right." This is a habit that I have. I have come to realize that the time spent to figure out "just right" doesn't come. I also have to admit that I don't have the "just right" skill set on all things to figure them out.

Yesterday - I was at Home Depot and just did SOMEthing. I bought some marigolds and stuck them in the ground (yes, I used some potting soil). Then, I said, "do I really want to weed around these flowers?" I was on my way home from an errand and popped back into the Home Depot. They didn't have the fancy Cocoa Mulch that I used in my garden. I really didn't want to use redwood mulch. It was what they had. I was ready to leave....

...until I said - "Nutster, just do SOMEthing". If I find that the redwood mulch is oh so offensive, it isn't going to be that big a deal to change it.

Net net - outside of popping in and out of the Home Despot, I have 45 minutes invested in a project that will surely be beautiful. It's already a HappyUP!!! Can't you see it already? Make sure you check out that creative one color up one color back symmetrical planting technique.


No comments: