Monday, December 15, 2008

HappyUP!!! Day 687

HappyUP!!! - raking
Why it happened - I took action
Why it makes me happy - I love that my city comes around and picks up the leaves. On Saturday, knowing that dried leaves are easier to rake than wet ones, I raked and piled my leaves out front even though I knew rain was going to knock a whole bunch more down the next day. This morning, my lawn was covered with leaves again...but the pile I had made Sat was gone. I then noticed the city had created a staging area dumping all the collected leaves down the street. I quickly made another pile...the guy in the tractor came and scooped them up. Then, I looked at my neighbor's yard and made another pass on my yard. I made another pile and went to breakfast. When I came home, the third pile of leaves I had made was gone. These leaves would have been hanging around for a week....blowing all over the place. They came down...I shipped them out for the city to make compost out of them. I got some exercise and felt super efficient.

HappyUP!!! - golf tip
Why it happened - I was watching the Golf Channel
Why it makes me happy - I have been working on my flop shot.....and I got a great tip tonight. I went out in the dark and tried it out......WOW! I can't wait to do some work on it this week.

HappyUP!!! - Getting Things Done
Why it happened - I opened an old book by the title above
Why it makes me happy - I have gotten a little behind on some things that I need to do. I got some great ideas as I revisited this tome. I have a couple of weeks to bring the year to a good close. WHEN I make progress on a bunch of projects, I am going to feel really good about 2008 and have a headstart on 2009.

JollyJottings

Breakfast
Getting Things Done
Enjoying the rain
Raking

1 comment:

Glenn Blakney said...

I rake and compost my own leaves(and a few of the neighbors'...)
HappyUP! - Using a tarp.
Why it happened: had no bags.
Why it makes me happy: 1) save money on bags; 2) make fewer trips; 3) yard gets cleaner faster; 4) even though this happened three weeks ago, I still get great satisfaction out of seeing my clean yard.

HappyUP! - snow fences.
Why it happened: protect the blueberry bushes from cold, drying winds of our New England Winter.
Why it makes me happy: 1) looks professional. I used 4' X 8' sections of pressure-treated lattice, zip-tied to green metal fencing stakes pounded into the ground; 2) protects my investment in blueberry bushes; 3) not a permanent installation, easy to remove in the Spring; 4) bigger bushes faster means more blueberries for pie, muffins and face-smearing like wild bears!