Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Gratitude Moment

Long time followers here - know all about what a HappyUP!!! is. It's something that happens during the day that gives you a momentary feeling of happiness.

Apparently - there are some smart people out there that have written about instances that are a little bigger. One individual calls it The Gratitude Moment. (Wow...how considerate of me to give you that link so you can go there directly.....what a giver I am!)

In the article - the author talks about getting a letter that says, "we have the results of your cancer test and they were negative." Would that be a HappyUP!!! ?

Uh.....DUUUHHHHH! - but I don't mean to be flip about it. The author goes on to say how he viewed the world differently upon receiving that news.

That would be what I call - a SuperHappyUP!!! and I am not going to discount the values of those one bit.

You don't experience those everyday - however. Upon reading that article, I thought it would be a good time to remind all of my readership that Gratitude Moments (aka-HappyUP!!!s) do not have to be large earth shattering events.

As a matter of fact - they rarely are. The key to changing your life with the HappyUP!!! intervention is to get in the habit of actively looking for those things that go your way...those things that could have gone another way.

We have a bad habit - of expecting things to go right. We take the fact that we caught every traffic light being green as the way the world is supposed to work. We don't notice. Yet, take a day when you are in any kind of hurry and miss two out of five lights....you are stressing out!

I'm not suggesting that you don't stress out - well, actually, I would like you to work to that place. In the meantime, not noticing the bad would be a form of denial.

What I am suggesting - is that by noticing more of the things that go well, you will naturally crowd out the amount of attention you have to spend on the things that go poorly. It WILL just naturally happen.

Keep practicing - your HappyUP!!!s. While I suggest that you capture three everyday and write about them, you will want to record 5...10...15 possibilities when you first get started.

You want to get up everyday - and ACTIVELY be looking for the good things that are happening for you.

I know - "Nutster, I don't want to be some Pollyanna." I hear you. Of course, my first response that I want to say is, "Uh.....why?" but I'll refrain. If you don't want to be Pollyanna, you won't. The HappyUP!!! will not eradicate your inner cynic/critic. He/she is much too powerful.....at least for now.

No comments: