Monday, March 26, 2007

HappyUP!!! Day 58....a Bittersweet HappyUP

I can't believe it - I'm feeling a little melancholy about the first HappyUP!!! today...but in a good way.

HappyUP!!! - we lost our Arena Softball playoff game
Why it happened - we played like dirt (and this is indoors where there is no dirt)
Why it made me happy - or, melancholy happy. We have played about 5 seasons. With Spring around the corner, some of the players are taking their game outdoors. In a younger day, I would have been tempted to join them. Outdoor softball just moves to slow compared to indoors, however. Long games at the park. It just doesn't have the allure. It looks like a case of "their breaking up that old gang of mine." I doubt we'll get back together in the fall. Along the way, we collected a championship. It's time to move on to the next hobby to have some fun with.

HappyUP!!! - an e-mail from one of my employees
Why it happened - she fought through adversity...and is going to win
Why it made me happy - the strategy that I had put in place worked....and it makes me more confident that it will work for more of my employees on an important, long term initiative. It was a little victory...but a big victory for this employee. She now realizes that the adversity is natural...and, if she fights through it, there just may be a carrot on the other side of the stick.

HappyUP!!! - an interview
Why it made me happy - the person that I was called in to do the second interview with had "that thing." I call it magic. It's where confidence and intelligence meet along with a pleasing personality. It's very attractive and that will get you a long way. It's not about physical beauty. It's about having presence. Who knows if the person will work out but I think they have a great shot at it. The hiring manager is excited. It's all good.

JollyJottings

a great meeting with a client

No comments: