Monday, September 24, 2018

Paul Gosar and Political Advertising


Paul Gosar is the congressman (?) running for re-election in New Mexico or Arizona or one of those hot, dusty places. I’m not sure of the position or the party affiliations.  This campaign has gotten some national attention due to a certain advertisement. This is how it came across my desk. 

People come on the advertisement saying he has done a poor job and does not have his constituents best interests at hand.

It’s pretty standard political advertising.  Then, it gets interesting, but not for the obvious reason you would think.

Those same people then come out and say, “I’m his brother,” “I’m his sister,” etc.

The premise and message being attempted to deliver is: he’s so bad even his family won’t vote for him......

.......and I laugh.

I don't come from a political family. If I did, however, and my politics didn’t coincide with my brother’s, I would expect him to vote for the candidate that opposed me.  I would be disappointed in him if he didn’t stay true to who he was.  To me, it is common sense.

My laughter emanates from the thought of some people scheming in an advertising board room on this. “Jim, we have 2 brothers and 1 sister in on this....I think we can get the other 2 siblings.”  I can see the excitement bubbling from them that they have created “the ad to end all ads.”

In the midst of their giddiness, if I was on the fence,..............I would vote for the  candidate being attacked here. It would be the opposite of what the ad agency was looking to do. For those that know me, I absolutely love it when the Law of Unintendeded Consequence enters the picture. 

It takes a lot of guts to think for oneself in the midst of family pressure. I have witnessed this in a family that I know. It’s not easy being the “outsider.” It takes a backbone. I like that in a candidate. It tells me they probably look at issues before being influenced.

As an independent, when I can’t really decide, I also have made “nastiness of the attack” a factor in my voting decision.  Candidates should focus more on what they can do and, while flaws of an opponent shouldn’t be overlooked, it shouldn’t be the focus.

Also, it is interesting that the Ad agency couldn’t influence Mom and Dad to join in. 


My opinion? The siblings are garbage! But, hey, that is just an opinion. There is a reason I have to bring it up though.  It may be a reason NOT to vote for the attacked guy. He shares the same DNA as these pieces of trash.  They can oppose him... they can vote the other way....but...even if they hate their brother (which says something about them and hatred), just shut up and vote your heart.  Show that you have a touch...just a touch ... of respect for family. 

Yeah...yeah...the siblings, upon reading this, could say, "you don't know the whole story....." Nope! I don't.  You didn't put that out there in the ad. That's your bad!

No comments: