Tuesday, January 20, 2009

HappyUP!!! Day 723....Change - We Can Believe In?



Change - as someone that managed people for years and specialized in managing people through change I can say one thing unequivocally: people don't like change much. They say they do but, when they realize that change requires changing oneself which is accompanied by work, they lose heart.

While not a theologian - I absolutely love the story that Exodus tells in the Bible. All of those slaves go, "Sure, Moses, get us out of here." As soon as things get a little rough, they backslide in a heartbeat. "Hey, those beatings and that food wasn't as terrible as we thought." The vision of the Promised Land fades quickly. "Who the heck is this Moses guy, anyway? He spun a great story when we were back there in the pits but THIS sure doesn't feel too good."

Me? I'm optimistic - Is The Obama the real deal? Who knows? He sure doesn't have much experience. He's a good cheerleader. He's a good motivational speaker. We need those things. We'll need more from him. Yet, the team still has to play out on the field.

You may remember my post yesterday - where I asked if you were ready to do at least a day a month of volunteer work. If you already do that, you will be asked to do more. It's funny because I just heard a commercial from The Obama wanting you to log in to a website for volunteerism.

Will you be willing to give more of yourself - when, due to economic circumstances, everyone feels that they have less?

Let's get to today's HappyUP!!!s

HappyUP!!! - golf
Why it happened - it's my life
Why it makes me happy - it was hard to imagine a more perfect day than today to be basking in the gorgeous weather.....just a stunning January day.

HappyUP!!! - e-mail from my friend A
Why it happened - A got a break in their schedule
Why it makes me happy - an exciting event coming up from my friend....and it was something I was able to offer a little insight on. I'm thrilled for A

HappyUP!!! - golf match
Why it happened - a couple of guys needed a game
Why it makes me happy - I met another new face to me at the club and ended up playing with three people outside of my circle. I didn't put up a great number but it was good company.

HappyUP!!! - hitting the first 5 greens in regulation
Why it happened - I was keeping it down the middle
Why it makes me happy - I actually was down the middle on 6 with an 8 iron and tugged it slightly or I would have hit the first 6 greens. This is an accomplishment because the first 5 holes at our club are a tough way to start.
JollyJottings

No comments: