Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Happy UP! Part 1

I had the wonderful opportunity to address a large group of operations people for the wonderful State Farm Organization today. During the presentation, I encouraged them all to do a daily excercise for 1 week. I asked them to reflect back on their day and think of three things that brought some happiness, joy, or gratitude and capture it in written form. At the same time, they were asked to write what caused the event to occur and why it brought some sun into their day.

This follows a study conducted by Martin Seligman that indicated that people who did this for a week were shown to be happier.........6 months later!!! Now, it is possible that some of the subjects couldn't help but reflect back on their week and, whether they actually wrote it down or not (they were told not to), started to become more conscious of their surroundings. This approach won out over two other intervention methods that brought more immediate gratification....but then subsided.

We'll discuss more of this study and draw possible conclusions during the next week. But, in the meantime, let's all go on a week long journey and find three things every day that we can reflect on. Here are my entries for today....in random order

Met a Vaulting Champion - I thought vaulting was the gymastics thing or like pole vaulting. It is an actual equestrian sport. This is where individuals and teams mount horses and ride them while in various positions. The positions include standing on the horse, doing a headstand on the horse, standing upon the shoulders of a person riding the horse, etc. I'll find out more in the future but I heard a young lady speak today that was on the 1996 Olympic Demonstration Team. Will this ever be an Olympic sport? Who knows! I'll hear more about this young lady's story in the future, however. She is a real live champion, however, and it is cool to hang with people with that kind of dedication. What caused me to be in a position to hear her story? I am a member of a Toastmaster's Club. This young lady came to improve her communication skills. Why do I think her story is so neat? I am going to get a chance to work with her and help her tell her story even more effectively....who knows who's life she may impact!

Met a Peace Corp Volunteer - who told of being sent to some island near Fiji...North of New Zealand. He had the task of preparing the 10th graders of the tribe for an exam. In the exam, if you pass, you get to move on with your education. If you fail, you are sent back to the farms for the rest of your life.......no do-overs! How much pressure is that? The success rate on the test is usually about 30%. The test results are broadcast over radio. Families celebrate the evening and gather around the airwave box to hear the results. For obvious reasons, it's a big deal!!! This person had 28 out of 32 students pass the test! What caused me to be there? I accepted the opportunity to speak at an engagement where this person was at. Why was this so cool to me? I think it is because I feel that we are under so much pressure sometimes. Compared to tests I take or withstand, mine is nothing!!!

Got to speak to a wonderful group of people - about one of my favorite subjects....the pursuit of happiness. Cause of me being there? Long version is my connection with my Toastmaster's group. The shorter version is that I was offered the opportunity late last week....and I said, "Yes, I will help you out!" Why was this notable to me today? For some of the people there, I gave them a few moments of fun. We can all use more fun. Fun is good....but it isn't happiness. I really believe that there were more than a few people in that room today that will change the way they view happiness and take some steps to increase theirs. Hey, this was no depressed group, either. They were one of the most energetic audiences that I have ever spoken to. You don't have to be sick in order to become better. Everyone can improve their happiness quotient. The other neat thing about the gig today? Who usually learns other than the student in a student/teacher relationship? Yup.....the teacher. In the process of my preparation and delivery, I learned a lot and I am in gratitude to this group for having me in today.

Come on along with me - on this week long journey. Get a journal, a piece of binder paper, or a used Jack in the Box bag....it doesn't matter. For the next seven days, see if you can find three things that are good in your day. Just look and make a brief note as you go along your day. At the end of the day, go through the brief excercise that I just did. It will only take you 10 minutes. Let's see what happens....feel free to blog in or just keep your thoughts to yourself. It doesn't matter how you do it....give it a whirl!!!

No comments: