Sunday, June 10, 2007

HappyUP!!! June 10......HappyBirthday, Mom!

I'll be catching a flight in a few hours, mom - though it's been 5 1/2 years since you caught the last plane out of here, you are remembered....especially today on what would have been your 88th birthday.

Do I think about you everyday? - no, I don't. You wouldn't have wanted it that way. You did your job. You raised your boys to be on their own. You know you did your job. It was the only job that mattered to you. You did it without a good example to follow considering what your parents did to you back in the twenties and early thirties.

My words to you today - are the same as when I stroked your hair on that hospital bed when they gave Dad and I the news and we were able to come visit your physical body for the last time. Your soul may have left but the words remain as true today as on that Thanksgiving eve of almost 6 years ago...

You were a good mom.....such a good mom - you put your children's needs before your own...and then picked it up and started again with the grandkids.

Don't worry about Dad - he'll come join you soon. You got out of this piece of loving work....you deserved to. You put in your time. We're all pitching in to try to make the remaining days and months as comfortable as we can.

Mark Twain said - "losing someone close to you is like your house burning down. You don't realize what you lost until 10 years later." I hope Mr Twain was wrong in your case. I can't think of anything more of you that I have lost than what I have contemplated over the last 1/2 decade.

Rest well - we'll all see you again soon enough.

No comments: