Monday, June 08, 2009

A Whack to the Side of the Head

I like to make people think - and sometimes it means giving people a little shock.

I had to change dentists a few years back - my initial visit included filling out a new patient questionnaire. One of the questions was...

"What is the most important factor in choosing a new dentist?" - and I answered, "Hot Chicks."

It really wasn't a joke - c'mon, I'm a guy. While I can't speak for all guys, I am going to stick my neck out and say that the prospect of having an attractive woman jamming her fingers down her throat is a more desirable thing to happen than some guy with hairy fingers.

When the dentist saw the survey - he cracked up. C'mon...do you think people really use you opinions to change things very often? My mission was accomplished...I brightened someone's day. I also planted a seed in my dentist's head that his hiring practices were noticed and appreciated.

The hygienist/assistant was not nearly as amused - and she let me know it.

I asked - "what kind of answer should I have put down?"

She replied - "how about that the office is clean and the staff is professional?"

I then laid it down - "uh.....excuse me....does it look like I live in a third world country? Those things are givens.....the ticket into the stadium. If you want to land me as a customer, you need to do more than get me into the ballpark, you have to find me a good seat."

I think she learned something that day - but the flossing I received seemed to have been a bit deeper than what I was accustomed.

Moral of the story - make your feelings known. Don't leave it to others and assuming they will figure it out. Have little concern for what people will think. If you let others know what you want, you will have a much better chance of receiving it.

No comments: