Sunday, July 01, 2007

HappyUP!!! Day 155


HappyUP!!! - Saturday breakfast with my adopted family
Why it happened - it was Saturday and it has become a tradition
Why it makes me happy - my best friend has a pretty large family. Mine is a small one. They go out to breakfast every Saturday. There is the patriarch and matriarch, three brothers, and a couple of wives in the mix. There are also some occasional children that mingle in and out. It's a big enough group that it isn't a big deal if someone doesn't show up. They go to my favorite breakfast joint. Everyone just shoots the breeze. It's an anchoring thing for their family. It would be difficult to pull this off with my family because, well, if either my brother or I didn't show up, one of us would be eating alone. It's just some good human contanct

HappyUP!!! - Ro-tow-tilling
Why it happened - I just did it
Why it makes me happy - little by little, I am getting rid of the grass and replacing it with garden. I took on another patch today. It was a little scary. I don't have a grand plan or landscape design other than less grass. While the amount of water goes down, the time to water goes up. Unless, of course, I install a drip system. The weeding time increases too! Unless, of course, I go to the store and get some mulch. Yes, some planning and commitment to a bigger project will soon become required. For now, it was just good to get some of the heavy lifting out of the way. Also, I just like the feel and smell of turning dirt. It is like real work. Write it off to the Forrest Gump in me. At the heart of things, I am pretty simple....just a little boy that likes to dig in the dirt, make mudpies, and get messy....all in the confines of my backyard.

HappyUP!!! - dad got some melons
Why it happened - I got to take care of him last night
Why it makes me happy - I got to take care of dad last night. The melons came from his old garden. He ate that puppy up right down to the rind!

No comments: