Saturday, May 26, 2007

Simple

(A special post for my friends over at SundayScribblings)

"I don't give a fig for the simplicity on this side of complexity. I would give my right arm for the simplicity on the other side of complexity"


The above is a paraphrase from someone whose name escapes me at the moment. If I get the motivation to get it all perfect, I'll come back and fix it. In the meantime, you get the idea. This quote has been something that I have gotten for a long time. I think it has to do with life as well. Life is pretty simple for me these days.

Back when I was a construction worker fresh out of college, I had a dresser of clothes, rent was $75 a month, and I slept on a couch. All I had was a couple of guitars, some golf clubs, a nice bike, and a truck. That was some simple living. I changed careers. 21 years ago, I entered the mortgage industry. Life remained simple...and a struggle.

The practice started to grow. A marriage ensued. Money started coming in. A condominium was purchased. It was outgrown. Then it was sold. The mortgage practice continued to grow. A modest home was purchased. Life was becoming more complex but not as complex as some make it. A divorce ensued. I was back to just myself. 11 years after the divorce, it is still just me. I sold the house. I moved into my parent's old home...in the old neighborhood that I grew up in....that hasn't changed a bit.

I never made my life ultra complex as I see others do. I am not saying anyone is right or wrong. I started to get a taste of complexity. I watched other's struggle with it. I saw some struggles with it myself. Have I arrived at the simplicity on the other side of complexity or did I ever travel over Complexity Mountain myself? It's debatable, I suppose, but it is a debate that doesn't interest me much at this point.

No comments: