Saturday, May 05, 2007

HappyUP!!! - Oceans


(A special guest post for the folks at SundayScribblings written in the HappyUP!!! style that you are accustomed to. Remember...only a couple of more days until we reach Day 100)

HappyUP!!! - oceans

Why it happened - I have been to the ocean. It is hard to say many times but I can't say few either. They are relative terms. I have not gone enough. I haven't gone so much that it is second nature. Every time I go it thrills me.

Why it makes me happy - there is usually a breeze and a coolness where I go. It is also stark and craggy as opposed to the beautiful beaches that I vacation too. I love the place where land meets sea. The sea itself? I have been on a couple of cruises but that is just a hotel on water. I am sure it is nothing like being in a smaller craft. While I am sure that could thrill some, it holds no wanderlust for me. The waves make me happy. My uncle, who lives by the ocean, once said, "I go down there everyday. It is never the same to me from one day to the next." If it is that way to him considering his constant visits, it is not even close to being the same when I go. Perhaps that is the attraction.

When I think of the ocean, I think of life. It is sometimes calm and sometimes tumultuous. It is water and water is life. I can never compete with the depths of the ocean. It's breadth is similarly beyond comprehension. The ocean is a mystery. I look forward to the next time I step into it.

No comments: