Thursday, April 12, 2007

HappyUP!!! Day 75

HappyUP!!! - seeing my dad
Why it happened - I went to the hospital and visited
Why it made me happy - we are spending some quality time. The downside is that he is far from at his best. The good side is that some of his defenses are down. The sharing is a little better. No, it is no HappyUP!!! that he has reached the stage in life where we will start looking at possible dates that the angels will come. There is grieving around that. There are also a few specs of sun that poke through. I am choosing to grab those whenever possible.

HappyUP!!! - helping an employee develop
Why it happened - he has a transaction going sideways through no fault of his own
Why it made me happy - he is in a stressful spot. While I don't wish it on my staff, he is in pain. I have been there. I can see that he is learning to think in this situation and grasping the underlying situation. Pain does this. I wish this didn't have to happen but our business is to problem solve. This employee is "getting it" and developing on how to do that on his own.......with a few sprinkles of guidance from the old guy.

HappyUP!!! - recovering from a major faux paus
Why it happened - I am quick on my feet
Why it made me happy - we did breakout sessions at our meeting. Each group had to come up with a solution or ideas. Then, someone had to present. We hadn't thought about that. Out of nowhere, I got the nod right at the time of delivery. We were talking about things that management can do around a better workplace. As I got up to our flipchart, I realized that we hadn't addressed recognition.

"We didn't list recognition," I matter of factly began, "because talk is cheap. We act. At this point, I have to recognize Victoria, our scribe, for the absolutely beautiful penmanship."

From across the room, someone blurts out, "...are you talking about Virginia?"

Yes, the room erupted. I had just met our charming scribe the day before and, quite honestly, I wasn't listening when she mentioned her name. It probably wouldn't have mattered because I didn't use her name after that so I would have forgotten it. I had asked my tablemate what her name was earlier in the meeting so, in the future, I could address her properly. He had said, "Victoria." He sucks at names too! Anyway, I was able to put some fancy footwork and increase the laughter with some self deprecation and all was good. It was funny!

No comments: