Saturday, April 07, 2007

HappyUP!!! Day 70


HappyUP!!! - a trip to the VA Hospital

Why it happened - dad has been stricken

Why it made me happy - OK...I would rather not have to have made this trip. As I got there, however, I took some time to appreciate the surroundings. As we approach April 15, tax day in America, it was nice to see that my tax dollars are being spent on something worthwhile...our veterans. Yes, a lot of the Vets are crotchety in the hospital. They may not feel the level of care is all it can be. Let's face it, though. No one is at their best when they are hurting. So, for a few moments before having to see dad prone in a hospital bed, it was time for some appreciation.

HappyUP!!! - dad had an "accident" right when I got there

Why it happened - hey, you get to be 88. You lose control of some bodily functions when you are ill...heck, that can happen when you are healthy and much younger.

Why it made me happy - the nurse was right in.....uh....let's see....how do I say this because you have to understand the part of the process for the story to be funny....but I don't want to be gross. OK...let's be adult for a second. I was standing outside the curtain. The nurse was in mid-wipe. I then hear my ailing father ask, "is this the height of your medical career?" I don't know who was busting up more....me or the nurse. You have to make the best out of the most unpleasant situations!

HappyUP!!! - the Masters

Why it Happened - it happens every year at this time...and you can count on me to be watching

Why it made me happy - it is one of the ultimate tests of golf. This year, Augusta National is set up to make the best in the world do nothing but make mistakes. Whoever screws up the least, wins. It makes for very interesting viewing. I love golf. I love athletics at their ultimate. This is the combination of the two.

No comments: