Saturday, August 19, 2006

Who Else Might I Be?......SugarFree...Part 2

OK....so here we are - just like I said.

Last Saturday - it was 10 a.m. and I said, "in about 7 days, it's going to be Saturday at 10 a.m. again. Guess what? I was right....it happened!!! It's like I am some kind of sage or seer.

The point was -What will have been different when next Saturday rolls around?

And I made a DE-cision - I decided that I would not give in to my intense sugar cravings for 7 full days. Now, to some of you, that would be no big deal. To others, you are saying, "there ain't no way that would happen."

I would be closer - to the "ain't no way crowd." I live about 5 minutes from the local Dairy Queen. Sometimes, there is nothing better than an 8 or 9 pm run through the drive through for a quick Blizzard. To those of you not familiar with the DQ Blizzard, let's call it a ice cream frostie in a cup in various different flavors. It's so thick that a spoon is required to digest it. You can even turn the cup upside down and it won't fall out (well, don't try it after it has melted a bit). Cookie dough, Heath Bar, Oreo Cookie, Strawberry Cheesecake, etc.....you get the idea.

Then - we have the vending machine at work. Hey, there is nothing like chocolate to take the edge of the stress when you are trying to "herd the cats" at work.

I had all of my managers in for a meeting - and, as usual, we have snacky little chocolate bars to keep that blood sugar running.

The list goes on and on and on - the mindfields were plentiful and the potholes steep that I could have fallen into.

How did I do? - I screwed up....once. It wasn't temptation. It was pure mindlessness. At the above stated meeting, we had brought in Chinese food for lunch. Now, remember, I said, "no sugar," not "no salt" for a week...that would be an entirely different program! What is the natural thing to reach for after you have pounded down the egg roll, the crispy pan fried noodles, and the sweet and sour vegetables???......yes, a Fortune Cookie!

You aren't even that interested in the cookie - you need to see what the future is going to bring. In my case, I wanted three fortunes!!!

As I was about ready to share a fortune with my group - I looked down at the remains of the cookies....some plastic wrappers, crumbs, and the little slips that held my future upon them...and I said, "Dang! Fortune cookies are a COOKIE. Cookie=sugar!!!"

Well...I still declare it a sugar free week - if I had been thinking, I wouldn't have had the fortune cookies at all. It was pure oversight.

The point of the story - what do you need to cut out for a week, a month, a year, or for your life that would make a difference? What do you need to get under control? Is there something that would scare you to go without for a week (yes, it could be THE INTERNET)? Bingo....the one that you think you can't do is the one that you MUST do. I'm not saying stop forever. Just to make sure that you are in control of it and it's not in control of you.

Feel free to leave me your item that you need to take a break from - and if you want to commit to doing it....and when you will start. I'll be right here in your corner....cheering you on.

Trust me - if I can go without sugar for a week......and without drinking for over 3 years....you can do anything once you DECIDE (cut off all other options) to do it.

The week went by easily and quickly - (a bit too quickly) but, when the opportunity to sugarize came up, it was no opportunity at all as the decision had already been made. Look forward to hearing from you.

2 comments:

harmonyinline said...

Congradulations on your sugar-free week.

paris parfait said...

Hooray for you, Scott! Well done. So I'm going to follow your lead and from Friday Aug. 25 to the following Friday, I'm going to eliminate all sugar intake I say Friday, rather than Thursday, because of one last hurrah with some goodies brought back from England. Hey, I'm still on holiday! :)