Friday, June 30, 2006

Two Peas in a Pod

(A special post for SundayScribblings)



After 14 years of living in my last house - I finally made a move a bit over a year and a half back. At one time, the old homestead probably had 6, 7, or 8 cats hanging around. I can't really how the collection came to be. They just started showing up. My ex had a bigger heart for the felines than I did.

Well, when the time came for the unmarriage to happen - I ended up being left with all of the children. While it didn't happen immediately, it was time for....

The Cat Eradication Program (CEP) to begin
- don't call PITA or the SPCA!!! A few were placed, natural causes, disappearances, etc began to happen along with a vigilance to be on guard for no other cats to be allowed on premises....

Lest they end up getting a name - and, hence, a setback to the CEP! By the time of the move, there were only two mammals making the trek to the new space...

...Yours Truly and Stogie - my stout 8 year old black cat featured prominently in the picture. But....wait.....if there was only one cat, what is that hanging around in the back of the picture????

It's another black cat!!!!
- meet Shadow, the little girl kitty that "showed up" not more than a few weeks after moving in. Stogie is a pretty social fellow. The old neighbors actually hated to see him go. Well, he drew this new, young chick in and, well, with the CEP already declared successful and done, this old curmudgeon decided that the two of us boys could stand having a little female accompaniement in our new living space.

Ever since that day - those two black cats have been inseperable. Hence, how she got the name Shadow. As for Stogie and how we derived his nom de plume? Back in my cigar smoking days, I would sit outside and draw on a big fat robusto. Stogie seemed to enjoy jumping up on my lap and savor the aroma of the smoke being blown into his face (OK....maybe you can call the SPCA now for subjecting my cat to second hand smoke...I'll call my attorney and meet them in court).

Stogie and Shadow
- two peas in a pod

4 comments:

paris parfait said...

Such a great story about Shadow and Stogie! I love the humor of your writing.

Becca said...

Great twist on the "two peas in the pod" theme. I confess I liked this so much that I stole the idea for my post this week!

Really enjoyed meeting Stogie and Shadow!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to have to steal your kitties --- they are gorgeous!

S&S sound a bit like my two chihuahuas. Completely opposite, but still are inseparable.

Thanks for your comment before, S.H. The hugs helped. :)

-Aly

Kamsin said...

Such gorgeous cats!