Sunday, June 25, 2006

HappyUPdate


I have been doing a bit of travelling lately - mostly on business. The travel process can be quite draining and stressful...even to some of us with a pretty steady constitution. I have to share the HappyUPs I had jotted down in my journal from last Monday. I had to arise by 3:30 a.m. to catch a flight from Northern to Southern California. It's only an hour's flight but, post 9/11, a simple flight is a rare commodity.

Beat the 3:30 alarm clock - by waking up at 3:15. I am so thankful that I have this talent of being able to tell myself when I want to wake up...and then having it work. I still don't trust it enough to not have the alarm as a backup. I just like waking up on my call rather than the alarm's.

Remembered to think "HappyUP"
- as I got out of bed and headed to bathroom. Started the day with gratitude on my mind with no mnemonic tricks needed. This is not the way most of us wake up....and definitely not how I used to. When I do, I notice it and thank God for continuing to work on me.....He knows...I need it.

Found my nice shorts
- in the pre-dawn mental haze, I gave up on finding the nice shorts that would be appropriate for the function I was going to. As I was heading out the door, I saw them on the dryer.

Remembered to go back in to store and pay for coffee - in my focus to get to the airport, I self served and brain faded. I walked straight back to my truck. As I was opening the door to my vehicle, I realized I hadn't paid. I went back in and did so. I would have felt like a thief. I also would have had to go out of my way as I came back from my trip to settle up....well, that is if the police weren't waiting for me as I got off the plane coming home to arrest me for caffiene lifting.

No traffic on the way to airport
- sure, it was 4:50 a.m. so the odds were good for me. But, have you ever ran into unexpected traffic when you couldn't afford to. Take nothing for granted.

Great parking spot at airport
- level 2 in the 6 story garage and right by the elevator

Not stressing in line 1
- because I got to the airport 2 hours before my flight. The guy next to me is sending out a tremendously negative vibe. I am not even talking to him nor is he saying much. I can just feel the heat radiating from him.

I got my bag checked out of turn - to my advantage. One clerk was servicing 4 self check in kiosks for people that had a bag to check. The other people had been in front of me in line. She looked at me. I smiled. It was a smile telling her that I knew she was harried. She checked my stuff first. I giggled to myself, "hey, that was kind of like taking 'cuts' in line without anyone knowing it."

Not stressing in the long line 2
- this is the security line and it was loooooong. Once again, I had arrived way ahead of time. Bad mojo was emanating from all over that que. Not from me. This allowed me to....

Notice the young couple next to me
- and we engaged in a nice conversation. I don't always talk to people in line. Both the man and the woman had shaved heads. I didn't ask but I have the feeling that she may have been going through a cancer situation. Yes, I might have been stereotyping but I just had this feeling. If true, he had gone along and shaved his head in support. She looked lovely and I was glad I noticed.

Breezed through the metal detector
- no hassle, no wanding, I'm FREEEEEEE!

Got first seat in my line for plane
- let's me sneak in 40 minutes of e-mail. An unplanned bonus

Wireless is working great
- even with all of the communication around the airport

Brought a great book
- to read on the flight

Blood pressure
- I just remembered stopping at the blood pressure machine yesterday. It was the lowest it has ever been. While I don't have high blood pressure, it doesn't mean that it couldn't be even better.

Looking forward - to seeing my friends which is why I am flying

The beautiful haze of LA
- OK...it's smog but I think it is beautiful because I don't live in it

Anticipating a smooth landing

Having a smooth landing
- always tell that pilot, "you layed that one down nicely." Of course, you could just walk by the pilot like you expected the good landing as your only thought is, "where the heck is baggage claim."

My bag is the third one off of the plane - this allows me to slip right out the door (be honest....how often do you sit and go, "why is my bag always the last one off the plane," when, in reality, your bag probably came out in the 50th to 80th percentile of bags off the plane. Not only do we ignore the good and notice the bad....we like to exaggerate the bad)

And the shuttle bus driver sees me
- and reopens his doors to let me be the last passenger in just as he was getting ready to pull away

My pen is intact
- sometimes, my favorite brand of pens explode on planes.

.....................and on and on it goes - we have so many things that we think are supposed to "just happen" for us every day. The only time we notice them is when they go wrong. It is trite for us to say, "we take things for granted." Yes....we do.

What are YOU going to DO about it?
- how about starting to notice...to be present?

It's easy to do - and even easier NOT to do.

1. Just make a mental note of the things that go right
2. Stop on occasion during the day and make a brief journal note
3. Review all of the items in the evening before bed
4. Pick your top 3....write why you thought they happened and what was it about the event that made you happy

Seven days......just give me seven stinking little days - at the same time this week, you will be done with the project.....if you want to be. Here's the hook. After 7 days, you may not write the three things down at night every night but you will be effected by what you start noticing every day.

4 comments:

Ang said...

I loved this post! Made me smile most of the time and even giggle in a couple places. I'm defintely going to start the Happy Up again too!

Thanks for the reminder, Scott!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »