Saturday, June 03, 2006

Confesssion of a Book Freak



OK...there you have it
- I went out and said it. I'm a book freak!

It's a problem - I am in the midst of a terminal remodeling project. I moved into the old house about 1.5 years ago. I never have really gotten settled as there has been some much overthought of rehabbing to do.

The day has finally approached
- to hit the living room and turn it into a real room. Might paint the floor...if I don't like it, I'll just glue a laminate over the old, worn wood floors like everyone else does these days (man, I hope the painting thing works...I'm not down with the thought of being like everyone else)

And I have to address "the issue"
- how did I get so many books? Many read with a commitment to re-read. Others started. Others waiting. I'm sure more will get through the front door within the next two weeks.

But some have to go - but which ones. "I really might read this one again." "This one doesn't seem as interesting as when I bought it but, I started it so I should finish it."

Almost none jump out and scream
- "this one has to go!!!" It is almost like they are children. That's just sick. For goodness sakes, they are just a bunch of paper bound together.

Decisions....decisions...decisions - I'll get back to you on which ones left. I think it may tell me something. But, once I decide for them to go....

Where will they go? - aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

4 comments:

paris parfait said...

From one book freak to another, I sympathize - it's a dilemma! I try to give books away to deserving homes, but most I can't bear to part with. Many I haven't had time to read yet; others I want to re-read with new perspective. At least it sounds like you have plenty of space for books. My dream is to have one room with wall-to-wall bookshelves, a comfy reading sofa and nothing else. Sigh.

Yolanda said...

I am a fellow book freak too as my husband can attest. We are packing for a cross country move and he just had a little rant about the number of books I have. I have this addiction that when I see books at library sales etc. that I thnk I would like to read I can't pass them up.When I die just bury me under a pile of books in the library and I will be happy. LOL

Unknown said...

I know just how you feel. I found a solution for my own "hyperlibris" that might help:

Donate books you haven't read in [select a comfort zone here. 1 year? 2? 5?] to your local library. Then not only can you still read them whenever you want, but others in your community will also have the chance to enjoy them.
(Note: don't do this with any books you couldn't purchase again if you wanted to, such as out-of-print books, signed copies and first-editions)

Hope that helps. It reduced my collection by about...10%.

Ang said...

It gives me hope that there are others like me!! My husband thinks I'm nuts and does not understand my reluctance to part with any of my books. Some I have actually reread, others I plan to, and still others I've either started and plan to finish or I plan to start sometime in the future.

My dream is to have a full room to devote to my books with a windown seat (with lots of cushy pillows) a nice comfy recliner chair and a comfy couch. And of course floor to ceiling bookshelves on every wall!