Monday, August 20, 2007

HappyUP!!! Day 206....Waking Up in Bakersfield

It doesn't take long - to figure out why Bakersfield has a history of traditional country singers hailing from it or coming from it. It's the only real "oil town" in California. Oil has a mystique about it that just seems to breed a lot of things that make country music...

...that and a lot of dust! Let's HappyUP!!!

HappyUP!!! - sleeping in
Why it happened - not much sleep the night before, 36 holes of golf, and being in the sun all day
Why it makes me happy - it's kind of cool to know that I can still sleep 8 hours on occasion. It was a quasi day off for me so I was out of routine and not running to a calender. Waking up at 7 on a Monday didn't throw me off schedule.

HappyUP!!! - meeting Dustin of JD Hardy and the Sinners
Why it happened - I was guitar shopping
Why it makes me happy - Dustin has a record deal. They had to drop "and the sinners" from their band name to please the record label. Who knows...they could be playing the Bible Belt someday. The CD is coming out Sept 2 and Dustin wrote the first single. They are going out on tour. The label has invested in them. He's going to chase that dream. He may make it....he may not. He knows it but he's making that run. It was cool to be in his presence. Plus, he gave me some "pickin" tips as well as some good guitar advice.

HappyUP!!! - tripping to and picking at two guitar stores
Why it happened - I found them on line
Why it makes me happy - I got to do some picking. One store was within walking distance of the hotel. The other was only 8 minutes away driving. I gathered some data. It all eases the pain over the guitar that I lost (may it Rest In Peace.....or be in the hands of someone that is a better player than myself)

No comments: