Sunday, February 15, 2009

Andrew Carnegie: The Mission Statement


From his journal:

"Thirty three and an income of $50,000 per annum. By this time 2 years from now I can arrange all my business as to make no effort to increase fortune but spend the surplus each year for benevolent purposes. Settle in Oxford and get a thorough education, making the acquaintance of literary men -this will take three year's active work -pay especial attention to speaking in public. Settle then in London and purchase a controlling interest in some newspaper or live review and give the general management of it attention, taking a part in public matters especially those connected with education and improvement of the poorer classes. Man must have an idol - the amassing of wealth is one of the worst species of idolatry. No idol more debasing than the worship of money. Whatever I engage in I must push inordinately, therefore I should be careful to choose that life which will be the most elevating in its character. To continue much longer overwhelmed by business cares and with most of my thoughts wholly upon the way to make more money in the shortest time, must degrade me beyond hope of permanent recovery. I will resign businesses at thirty five, but during the ensuing two years, I wish to spend the afternoons in securing instruction, and in reading systematically."

Carnegie didn't get it done - in two years. It actually took three decades for his vision of a life of service to happen.

The amazing thing to me - is the amount of clarity Carnegie had at the age of 33.

The above is from the book, Halftime, by Bob Buford.

No comments: