Sunday, January 13, 2008

HappyUP!!! Day 351....Jan 13....LohriUP!!!!



HappyUP!!! - going to a Lohri celebration....the celebration of the bonfire.

Why it happened - one of my employees is East Indian and they celebrate this festival

Why it makes me happy - their community gets together in a joyous celebration to their God. They are giving thanks to the harvest. In the case of the one I went to, it had the added joy to celebrate that a male son was born since last Jan 13th. Joy and GREAT food are always a HappyUP!!!


I had to go here to get the real story - most of the young people couldn't explain it to me. The older folks knew it so well that they couldn't dumb it down for me....plus there was that pesky dialogue barrier.



HappyUP!!! - women out dancing with each other at the Lohri

Why it happened - it seems to be a tradition

Why it makes me happy - this starts to look very similar to how we anglos do it. The women want to dance so they go dance with themselves. Plus, look at those beautiful outfits. A gorgeous site.








HappyUP!!! - all the men were at the bar

Why it happened - it's what men do at functions like this

Why it makes me happy - it doesn't matter what language we speak. We are all the same. The women go dance with themselves why the men pound cocktails. It's like a world unifying concept!

No comments: