Sunday, December 24, 2006

Looking toward the New Year but...



..." nothing changes on New Year's Day"
- possibly the greatest line in all of rock history. In just 6 short, simple words, U2 cuts right to the bone like any great poet does.

The stark reality severs the clutter - the only time for something to change is now. Seth has the quick list of excuses...objections....reasons...blahblahblah's in a great post. He misses one relevant one, however....

"I can't do anything today...it's Christmas Eve" - which would, of course, lead into "I can't do anything today, it's Christmas." Shall I go on with my drivel like the partridge in the pair tree song or 99 bottles of beer? OK..."I can't do anything today, it's the day after Christmas. Next week....I'll do it next week....for New Year's"....

...but nothing changes....on New Year's Day - there is only one time when anything ever begins to change. You know what time that is. If you don't, let me help you.

Grab your cell phone -...look at the time.....there it is. Grab your journal...write it down.

What....not going to do it? - no problem. I guess you have nothing to change. Congratulations!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blog made me smile until it almost hurt...

Yes, I finished NaNo, but the 50039 words live in my drafts folder in my e-mail, and I have not even read the thing over...

Anonymous said...

Wise words for the new year.