Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Cool of the Morning, Rush of the Day



I used to wonder
- about the neighbor across the street. He became disabled to work for as long as I can remember. I always picture him out hand watering the pesky little strip between the sidewalk and the street. He had his coffee in one hand, hose in the other.

I have been finding myself doing the same thing recently
- last summer was my first one as the owner of my parent's former house. I didn't do a very good job with keeping that persnickety little patch that fronts the street green last year.

You hate to run a hose across and use a sprinkler - there are safety issues with pedestrians. There are wasted water issues because the strip is so narrow. The choice is pretty much to handwater. Of course, one could put the time and energy into tunneling under the concrete and installing an automatic system. In the long haul, this is probably the best solution.....

Or is it?
- I have been getting up at 4 a.m. lately. I know....I can hear you, "What? When is 4 a.m.? I could never do that!!!" I used to say the same thing. I go to the gym. I come home. I have a bit of time before I start my oh so busy day.

...and I find myself out running the cold water
- across the thirsty grass. The morning's coolness will soon give way to an unseasonably warm 95 degree day in May. The combination of the mist, the grass exhaling a sigh of relief, the quiet of the morning, and a few moments of "there is nothing more important for me to be doing than this" make for a wonderful beginning of my day. I don't get this feeling at the other side of the day...the night.

So, it seems that the solution is to compress the time
- between the end of work and going to bed and expand the time between getting up and going to work. Go to bed earlier and get up earlier. This is what I have done.

Ah...the quiet of the morning - but, pardon me, I just noticed that it is now 6:15 a.m. I have a meeting to rush off to.

3 comments:

HoBess said...

I came to your blog via Sunday Scribblings and enjoyed your take on the prompt. But I loved this post and the fact that you're making the concerted effort to get more of your best time of day. Waking up can be hard to do, especially at 4 a.m.!

Anonymous said...

ugh.. I find myself staying up till 1 or 2 so 4 am is WAY to early. Though once I finish my Spring cleaning (probably not till this weekend) I hope to be getting up at 6:30. I've found that it is refreshing and peaceful if I do. Thanks for reminding me. *smile*

I applaud you.

-n

Amber said...

I just am reading a book that had a quote by Rumi that said, "The morning breeze has secrets to tell you, do not go back to sleep!"

The author was making a point about how much our minds and and spirits can get out of the early morning, in the quiet.
I wish I could make myself do it, too! LOL.

:)