Monday, May 05, 2008

Who the heck makes these rules?



I am talking to a lady today - and she starts telling me about her white tile kitchen floor...and how hard it is to keep clean.

I tell her - "that's why I went with a grey/silver/black pattern in my kitchen. While I wipe up spills and sweep, I must have gone a year before I got down on the hands and knees and did a scrub......and it will be another year before I do that again! You can't see the dirt."

She replies - "but I wear white socks around the house."



She is obviously referring - to the dirt that shows on the WHITE socks. There seemed to have been a pretty good answer to her...

"Wear Black Socks!" - which now got me to thinking......which is one of my favorite things to do.

Who decided that it was cool to wear white socks - and it was goofy to wear black ones. Obviously, I am not talking about when you have to match things. I am talking about with shorts and such. Everyone makes jokes of the old tourists wearing those black socks.

"What? Like it's not a joke if they are wearing white ones?" - take an objective look at this. Forget about the way things are "supposed to be." Look at this sock situation through a clear filter. Do black socks look any more ridiculous with a pair of shorts than white ones do?

The answer is "No" - the reason that white socks appear cool and acceptable is that tennis shoes USED to be white. Doubt my answer? Go buy a pair of black athletic shoes (they are out there....I own more than one pair). White socks look as ridiculous with those and black socks do with white shoes.

The other reason - is that they didn't used to make black athletic socks....or they weren't as easy to get as they are today.

Now, go back to our lady friend with the white socks - SHE DOESN'T HAVE SHOES ON AROUND THE HOUSE! Yet, she is wearing the white socks.

Practical hint for the day - wear BLACK socks when you are just wearing socks around the house.

Bigger Thought - you see the moniker on the blog where it says, "a guy sojourning the same orb you are...with permission to look at it a little bit differently?" This is what I am talking about. Who made the white sock rule? Why was it made? Who is enforcing it that makes you conform to it? Don't non-conform just to non-conform. Do it because CONVENTION isn't always CONVENTIONAL for your situation.

THINK! - for goodness sakes, do you know how hard it is to keep those white socks white. You'll end up destroying them with the bleach! Then....you have to get new socks sooner than if you had black socks. A little thought just saved you some dough!

No comments: