Thursday, April 20, 2006

Watch for Falling Rototillers!


As if you didn't have enough to worry about. I'll give you another.

I stopped at the rental yard tonight. Picked up a 5 hp rototiller. This is the big one. Needs it's own little trailer. The rental yard guy hooks the trailer to my truck. I leave looking forward to tilling a small patch tonight and returning the dirt dismantler before work in the morning.

I drive up over a quirky litlle crooked bridge by my house. "Up" is the operative word and will be important to the story in a minute. I drive down the other side. I turn left and then right into the alley behind my house. My garden-to-be is back behind my garage next to the alley. I'm a thinking guy. Going to drop the tiller off as close to the spot where it will be used as possible. I am about two houses from my house. I hear a sound. I look in the rear view mirror:

"Hey, what a coincidence! There's a rototiller back there in the middle of the alley. I'm towing a rototiller. What are the odds of that?"

I stood corrected. I HAD BEEN towing a rototiller. I was now merely towing a rototiller trailer. Fortunately, no harm was done. The rental yard guy had not inserted the rototiller into the tongue of the trailer which housed two big steel pins to lock it down. Now, I am the driver so it was my final responsibility to have made sure my load was securely fastened before I left. It was my fault but....I have never towed a thing in my life like this. Once I saw what had happened, it wasn't hard to figure out what the problem was. But, at the rental yard, I had trusted the expert that he would know more about this basic operation than I. I know better now.

I just can't figure out why it rolled out while I was heading DOWN the alley and why it didn't roll out as I was going UP the bridge. If it had bailed during the ascent on the overpass, I am sure that the driver in the car behind me would not have appreciated it NOR cared much that my rental yard guy was a bit off game today.

I think that Someone was looking out for me today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phew. Close call.

Yep- He works in mysterious ways.. and that was one of them.

Glad no one was hurt by a rototiller rampage! LOL

-n

ariens rototiller said...

I appreciate on what you did on the rototiller as a driver..