Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Happy UP! Part 2

As we discussed yesterday, we are going to continue on with a study done by Martin Seligman, past president of the American Psychological Association. ...with yours truly as the subject. Let's review three good things that happened today, what caused them to happen, and why I thought they were good.

Before we do that, I'll shoot you straight. Today was a tough day!!! I did feel like it was dog eat dog and I was wearing the milkbone underwear. I was grateful to be in the present enough to remain cognizant of this excercise.....ahhh....hmmmm.....maybe we're on to something here. I won't cheeeeze out on you and use this excercise as one of the events.

I woke up before my alarm - I know, you are saying, "hey that is cheezin out as cheezin gets." You have to understand. I was jazzed yesterday so I was up a bit late. The alarm was set so I could get up at 4:45 a.m. .....ugh......all so I could get on a plane and go to Hawaii??? NO....it was to go to the gym! I really appreciated waking up a few minutes early so I could lay there and enjoy the warmth before I psyched up to bolt out of bed. I don't know what caused it other than I actually did tell myself right before I went to sleep, "it would be nice to wake up naturally a touch early tomorrow." I've done that before. While I can't trust it enough to count on it, I can frequently tell myself when to wake up....even if it is off my normal pattern...and then do.

I had two great conversations at work - and I mean meaningful ones. We got some good business taken care of and then shared some important...really important stuff as well. The cause was rather difficult to pin down. The calls were both initiated by the other people. They were exceptional because it's really nice when you can put every bit of game face aside and have a nice heart to heart with someone. This is how we were meant to interract. Years of training to put up different masks of ego sometimes shields us from getting down to the nitty gritty. I think guys might appreciate these talks a bit more than the ladies......because, in general, we have fewer of these.

Lasagna for dinner - lasagna isn't a regular staple in my rotation....because it causes rotundness. The one that I had tonight was even store bought. Nothing fancy. But I really thought that it was tasty.....and so were the seconds that I had. I do have to admit that, knowing that I was going to post on the good things tonight did cause me to "tune in" on dinner a bit more intently than some meals at home........and maybe that's a good thing and something learned. Are you savoring your meals in thankfulness these days or is it "cram down whatever I can grab at the fast food window for me and the kids just to fill the hole?"

No comments: