Thursday, April 27, 2006

Garlic andthe Great Potatoe Renassaince


Sometimes, I wonder - and, after explaining what it is that I wonder about, people say, "You have too much time on your hands." Well....

I disagree - what is it that we love about children? It is their sense of wonder, isn't it? It is those "why" questions that we love.....until, of course, it becomes overly irritating because now they really don't want to know. They are just playing the "why" game with you.

The other day
- I was wondering about potatoes. I was out to eat at a very nice restaraunt. I was ingesting some large piece of beef that I had ordered. As a serendipidity, the hunk of cow was sitting on a pile of mashed potatoes. Quite honestly, the potatoes had nothing to do with why I ordered the dish. I did look at them as a welcome addition. I then said to myself, "I wonder if these are going to be GARLIC mashed potatoes."

I hit that one right on the button
- and they were gooooooooooood!

Then, I wondered further - about how much potatoe consumption has increased since it became popular to combine those brown tubers with garlic. This winning combo hasn't been on the scene all of that long. Now, you can't get away from it.

Ever been somewhere and had garlic fries - but, if they weren't garlic, you wouldn't even bother with the fries? I have to raise my hand to that one and say, "many times."

I wonder - and I hope this combination isn't causing another Great Potatoe Famine anytime soon.

1 comment:

Ang said...

Keep wondering!

It is nice to know I'm not the only one that wonders these "random" things. I get weird looks when I share my thoughts many times too. I think it is not that I have too much time on my hands, but that others are not letting themselves be creative enough!

I've noticed since I've had children I have these thoughts more often. I think I was starting to grow up too much and now my daughter has got me to thinking again!