Sunday, April 09, 2006

Happy Up! Part 6



Number one to feel good about? - My neighbor's yard
The sounds of neighborhood mowers had moved me off of the couch after an afternoon of Masters Golf Tournament watching. It was late in the day. There was just enough time to sneak in a mowing before another week of rain...and a real tall lawn to mow next week.

I like cutting my lawn. Edging doesn't interest me much. It's why I don't do it. Probably has something to do with the neighborhood that I live in. My neighbors don't care either. Everyone does their own version of cutting the grass. There are a few that are impeccably kept. They are the exception rather than the rule. I like that.

As I finished, I looked at my neighbor's yard. My neighbor is a bit older. He finally found love late in life and married. They live in a neighboring town so his yard doesn't get the attention it once did. I thought that some people would be upset by the unkempt condition which has befallen his spread. Not me. I saw heroism of something that shouldn't be there triumphing as if to say, "hey, Scott. Check us out." I thought I would let you do the same.

Number Two today - the Masters Golf Tournament

Yes, I am using this again. The Masters lived up to it's billing. The time that I dedicated for it was not wasted time. The human drama of Rocco Mediate triumphing, contending, and then being destoyed with a 10 on a par 3 made me feel for him. He has overcome so many injuries and is such a nice guy. Everyone wanted him to do well. It looked like he would...and then disaster. He'll be back...he is a warrior.

Tiger Woods hit the ball as well as I have ever seen him hit it. But, in golf, the last 15 feet between your ball and the hole count just as much as a 300+ yard drive. Tiger knows it...and, with his putter deserting him, the greatest golfer in the world was humbled. Humbling is a good thing. He'll be back...he is a warrior.

Phil Mickelson wins. Phil is the guy who always looks like his pants don't fit. The Green Jacket that goes to the winner seemed to fit fine. It was just a couple of years ago that everyone said, "he's a choker. He'll never win a major." Then, after winning, they said, "he'd never win again." I guess Phil is a guy that they like to root against. Well, today, he was back.....he is a warrior.

Rounding out the list- A Self Portrait

I was one of those kids that loved to draw. By the time that you get to be about 10 years old, if you haven't developed an eye and make pictures look like they should, you stop. I took a sketch pad and spent 10 minutes in front of a mirror. I do have to say, "what a good looking model," I had to work with today!!! I don't know if the picture really looks like me. It does look like a drawing rather than a cartoon, however. It was because I started to draw what my eye saw. The lines, the angles, etc and not what I THOUGHT I should see. When was the last time you drew? You can, you know. Yes...you really can. I like the idea of calling myself an artist. You are one too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what ya mean about drawing. I have a little 2in x 2in drawing of a tree taped up to my computer. It's not great. It's not perfect but it's mine. I drew it and it makes me smile.

-n