Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Over 55 Senior Discout

You are going to love this - well, you'll love it more if you actually know me and have seen me. Even if you haven't, you'll get the idea.

I had finished up a speaking engagement
- and it went reasonably well. It always can be better. This was no exception. I did feel good about getting the message across while we had some fun at the same time....

..so, it's time to celebrate!
- I was down in the Berkley area. I heard they had a Territory Ahead outlet store there. It's one of only a few in existence and I had never been to one. I thought I would stop by and pick up a few threads. Territoy Ahead is a catalog clothing store that I occasionally buy from...I like their stuff.

After picking out a few select garments (I selected them which is what makes them select) - I go up to the register. I hand the nice young lady my Visa Card and she asks?....

"DO YOU QUALIFY FOR THE OVER 55 SENIOR DISCOUNT?"
- this is where the whole thing gets a lot funnier if you actually know me. I still have almost a decade to go until I reach the double 5's. Also, without a shred of vanity, most people would peg me for a few years younger than I actually am. I answered politely, "No, I am afraid I don't."

"No Offense"
- she replied.

"None taken,"
I responded, "I guess that I knew that the day would come that someone would ask me that....I just didn't know it would come so soon!!!"

Honestly, I took that she had to ask anyone close. What if you got home and found out you should have gotten a discount? You would be a bit peeved...a feeling you had been taken advantage of. That was my take at least.

But how many Pandora's Boxes is that young lady opening up? - I wondered what percentage of the population would be really annoyed to be asked if they were 55 when they were nowhere close. What do you think? 70-80-90%? More.

Then, I remembered
- being 37 and getting carded at the grocery store when I was buying a bottle of wine. Somehow, in the space of 9 years, I have been questioned as to whether I was 21 or 55! Hey, let me enjoy the in-between for awhile. God willing, I'll get there soon enough!!!

Do people think I am 21? Do they think I am 55?
- in reality, what other people think of me is none of my business.

Summary
- it was a crack up. If I was on-game, I guess I would have showed her my license and said laughingly, "You lose! ...and your penalty for being so far off and risking insulting a great customer, I will take that discount."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL...

Twice, before I was 25, I was asked if I was the mother of someone I was with. Both of those times the people with me were at least 19. *sigh* It would be nice to be called younger but alas.. I'm happy right where I am... for now. *smile*

-n