Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Foolish Hobgoblins

I have been working through a situation regarding standardization. This one has been persnickety to say the least. I do understand where, amongst a large collection of people, entities, etc where rules become quite useful. Our civil laws, for example, attempt to keep us all cohabitating on this American portion of the big orb.

Yet, within the laws, we have judges. I'm not talking about jury cases. I am talking where a judge is there to take the law and interpret it. There are some laws that, while well meaning, do not fit the particular situation in which the law has been broken.

It drew me to a quote that I don't think of often but one I have known by heart for a long time. Many of us love quotes. We put them in our blogs. A lot of blogs have "quote of the day." These are all great quotes...they make you think. Each one of us that enjoys quotes seem to have a "pecking order" for quotes. The little thought of but easily remembered hold a special place in my personal quoteasauraus.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

This one has me thinking today. Is the situation that I ponder truly a foolish consistency or am I merely trying to justify and make my case for what I want?

I will be consulting with a Higher Power on that one tonight before bed.

No comments: