Monday, April 10, 2006

Happy UP! Part 7

It's hard to believe that a week has gone by. We'll do a wrap up tomorrow or Wednesday to summarize the experiment that we have been conducting. OK...you've been watching. I've been doing the work. Which means, you get to be entertained but I get the best part of the deal. Isn't that kind of how life works? Sure, it's nice to be at the edge of the pool but the fun is in the water getting wet!!! It's still not too late. If you have been playing along, comment on in and let us know how you have been doing.

Impacting Someone's Life in a Positive Way - is good thing number 1 today. I received a great e-mail from a person that caught me at a live talk last week. She said that the few words that I spoke were just enough for her to do something that she had been avoiding. Why was she avoiding it? It was that little voice that stops you, "you can't do that," "what if they say 'no'", etc. THAT little voice is not your friend. Anyway, she took some action and it looks like it is going to lead to a breakthrough for her. The cause of this was that I said "YES" when I was offered the speaking engagement. I'm busy like everyone else. It would have been easy to say no. Why does it make me feel good? BECAUSE there is not ONE benefit that I get from being a teeny tiny little help to this person. She did it. She just needed someone to come along and give her permission to MOVE forward....and suceeed....or fail....the key word was MOVE. If you don't move, the view doesn't change much. I'm not a big Dr Phil fan but I do love the comment that he has when people tell them what they do and he says, "well, how's that working out for ya?" when he knows full well that their current program is a disaster.....and they are repeating it!!!

Heard from a former boss
- and we had a great chat. The chat was caused when I picked up the phone. I have a bad habit sometimes....I won't ask for help. "It is the strong man that asks for help," is something that I remember hearing awhile back on the road of life. It's funny that I can remember the quote....and then fail to put it in action as often as I could. The chat was good because it gave me an answer, an action that I could take, to a particularly vexing work issue that I have been going through.

Blew off some bad news - I walked into the office today. I got an e-mail that was pretty crappy...yes, I said, "crappy." It may not be elegant but, when it is the correct word, you have to go with it. Under certain conditions...OK, I'll get honest...most of the time, I would have spent some time obsessing over my reply to it. While I still spent some time fighting off the urge to counter attack, I ended up just ignoring it. I'd give myself an A+ if I would have read it, said "whatever" and deleted it but I am going to give myself a solid B. Hey, that's up from a D or a C that I may have earned previously!!! Progress not perfection is what we are after.

....there's more but that's enough for now. Keep it to three things here...but it's a good day when you have more to choose from.

No comments: