Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Why I Write



While not the most uplifting piece to read, Nobel Prize winner Orham Pamuk details a transparent list of reasons why someone, assumingly why he himself, writes.

"The question we writers are asked most often, the favorite question, is: Why do you write? I write because I have an innate need to write. I write because I can’t do normal work as other people do. I write because I want to read books like the ones I write. I write because I am angry at everyone. I write because I love sitting in a room all day writing. I write because I can partake of real life only by changing it. I write because I want others, the whole world, to know what sort of life we lived, and continue to live, in Istanbul, in Turkey. I write because I love the smell of paper, pen, and ink. I write because I believe in literature, in the art of the novel, more than I believe in anything else. I write because it is a habit, a passion....."

Y
ou can find the complete paragraph here:

Orham Pamuk Why I Write

or, if you have the time, the entire piece which is uplifting can be found in the NewYorker

1 comment:

paris parfait said...

He's also written a piece in the current New Yorker, which is fascinating and inspiring.